Why We Love This Outdoor Chaise Lounge
I originally built this project for a rental property, but it turned out so well, we had to keep it for ourselves. This is a versatile piece. Here’s why we love it:
- There are NO moving parts, so there are fewer things to break and maintain. Instead of a seat back, the base is tall enough to be a bed by itself. Just arrange pillows for perfect back support.
- Versatile – can work as an outdoor sofa or sectional too!
- Easy to build
- The simple style works with most of the other pieces
- Can be stained or painted different colors
WATCH: Make a Video for these Outdoor Chaise Lounges
What do you use for a pillow?
For the cushion I used a foam cot mattress measuring 30″ x 75″ – I bought mine at Fred Meyer (a Kroger Chain store similar to Walmart). The foam should drain the water. There are many options on Amazon to buy a “cot sized mattress”.
Then I added a layer of outdoor batting on top, and sewed a pillow cover. Here is a great tutorial for sewing a box pillow cover (I’m not a sewing expert, so I’ll defer to someone who is).
Other Options for Cushions
This plan can easily be adapted to work with different sized pillows. Here are some options to consider:
- Twin Mattress – foam, waterproof or use a waterproof cover. Can use twin daybed cover or twin fitted sheet – spray waterproofing fabric spray to protect it (Scotchguard).
- Three Deep Seat Cushions – Deep seat cushions are a good option and can be covered. Some may come with pillows. Measure the size of the pillows and adjust the cuts accordingly.
- Chaise Lounge Cushion – Yes, you can use it. But consider that since there is no back seat, there may be a strange placement of the pillow rest.
What Kind of Wood to Use for Outdoor Furniture?
The best choice for wood is douglas fir 2×4 material. I prefer it over cedar, because it is a denser wood and I find it holds up better over time when finished properly.
For the slats, cedar is preferred – yes, you can use cedar picket fences but sand works well.
You can also use cedar or pine, but continue to finish the wood, recoating as directed in the stain can.
What Kind of Finish Should I Use for Outdoor Furniture?
Choose an outdoor stain that is used for decks, siding and fences. For a “painted” look, use an opaque stain in your desired color. Avoid film-forming paints or clear poly coats that can crack and peel if the wood expands and traps moisture.
Exterior stains are also easy to recoat to keep your projects beautiful and protected for years to come.
Free Plans to Build Your Own Chaise Lounge
Here are free plans to build your own chaise lounge. Send a photo when you’re done, we can’t wait to see how your project turns out!