Well, I didn’t mean to get away with most of this week. Telling the truth, I was very disappointed with how the bathroom worked, and I couldn’t bring myself to come here and talk about tile again. Very sore tile. I’m tired of talking about it, taking pictures of it, blogging about it, installing it… everything. I went very close to calling a professional to finish it for me, but I was really determined at this point to finish the tile myself. I don’t know why, but the more angry I am, the more determined I am.
But what happened this week was that I had a vision in my mind of how I wanted to use the glass tile in the shower, and it never worked out as it looked in my mind. So I spent yesterday retrieving everything I had done on Monday and Tuesday.
The last time I showed you the shower tile improvement, it was like…
My idea was to make a horizontal edge of glass tile around the entire shower. But as I explained last time, there is no way I can accurately line a stripe of glass tiles inside the shower to perfectly fit the wainscoting glass tile on the bathroom walls. So I decided to make it loud and intentionally offset.
So I added a few more rows of white tiles, and then added a row of glass tiles lined with brushed brass Schluter strips…
At first, I wasn’t sure about it, but I thought it was just because it wasn’t grouted. The appearance of the tile can change drastically if it is grouted.
So after drying the mortar for 24+ hours, I grouted it to see if it could make a big difference. This is what it looks like after I have grouted it, so the glass tiles are still bright.
So here’s the deal. I really like how it looks up close. As in, when I’m standing in the shower, I like that stripe, I like the brushed brass accent, and I like the shiny glass. Nearby.
But when I stood back in the room and looked at it, I didn’t love it. Looks like it just wasn’t added. If I find it hard to do that in the rest of the shower, I have to add a unique accent, but it doesn’t.
So I spent all yesterday removing all the tiles up to the bottom row of the accent stripe. And it was NOT an easy job. Let’s say the mortar I use is very good mortar. 😀 And once I have removed the tiles, I have to use my grinder to remove all the mortar on the wall. And in the process, it also removes the waterproofing membrane that is on the wall. So now I have to recoat that part of the wall using waterproofing membrane before retiling. Thank goodness I only made one wall before I knew it I never wanted that design on the walls !!
So after yesterday, like this…
Basically, my progress throughout the week was that I finished three rows of tiles and added seven new rows of tiles. on a wall in the shower. I also grouted those tiles because I was tired of looking at the black lines of the grout. Oh, and I got the “baseboard” tiles installed on two more tall walls. I just have one more wall (the short wall on the other side of the mural wall) to finish the “baseboard” tiles. That’s my whole week of progress. At this rate, I can have this shower after March 2022, and the bathroom will be finished by August 2022.
Hopefully not, though. Now that I’m just wearing solid white in the shower (yes, I know some of you are saying, “I told you so!” Right now 😀), I think I can do some faster . I hope so. I know we’re all tired of hearing about the shower tile (and I’m already so tired of working on it), and ready to move on to something else !!
Addicted 2 Decorating is where I share my DIY and decorating journey as I remodel and decorate the 1948 fixer upper that my husband, Matt, and I bought in 2013. Matt has MS and can’t do physical work , so I do most of the work at home on my own. You can learn more about me here.
I hope you join me on my DIY and decorating journey! If you’d like to follow my projects and progress, you can subscribe below and send each new post to your email inbox. That way you won’t miss a thing!