Are you looking for beautiful, comfortable deck chairs, that are easy to build?
After countless hours of designing and brainstorming, many prototypes and modifications, I am very excited to share with you what I consider to be the best DIY outdoor lounge chair!
Why I Love These Outdoor Chairs!
- Easy to build with basic tools
- Strong and durable, all 2×4 construction
- Inexpensive to make – about $50 with cushions on sale (compared to $300-$400)
- Fits most deep seat cushions, easy to adjust for different cushion sizes
- The beautiful wood grain can be stained or painted any color
- Super comfortable!
Must Watch Quick Video on Building These Outdoor Chairs!
Want to see this chair from all angles? See the quick build process? We hope this video tutorial will help you:
FAQ About These Outdoor Seats
- Where do you get your pillows? Off the shelf at Lowes.
- What type of wood should I use? Cedar is preferred but it is more expensive. You can also use regular old 2×4 boards – just finish them properly so they won’t weather.
- What type of finish do you recommend? I recommend any finish suitable for painting decks or fences. DO NOT use a film former – the paint will crack and peel as the wood expands and contracts.
- Is there enough back to keep the pillows in place? For my pillows, yes. But if you’re worried, it’s easy to add boards, a vertical 2×4 @ 24″ centered back will do.
- Can I use it indoors? Yes, yes, yes! It would also make a great cheap indoor chair!
- How can I make this chair heavier duty? A 2×4 @ 32-1/8″ under the arm rest and between the legs, screwed from the legs and top, flush to the inside, would be a big beef. Also the screw on the back angle.
Wood Outdoor Chair for Deep Seat Cushion
Thank you for trusting me with your outdoor plans. These plans are free to use. Please, though, send back a photo, it would be great to see your results!