Although not an eye-popping total, James Gunn’s Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 still managed to top the box office charts in its debut frame, earning $114 million domestically and $282M worldwide, per The deadline. According to the trade, the good news is that Guardians fared well throughout the weekend, falling 20% on Saturday to score $38M, which bodes well for its long-term potential.
In comparison, Guardians Vol. 2 opened to $146.5M in 2017, while the original jumped to $94M in 2014. Of course, the MCU was firing on all cylinders in 2017, so it’s best not to read too much into the deep end. It’s reasonable to wonder how long we can continue to shake off diminishing returns at the box office.
Super Mario Bros. Movie, on the other hand, continues to rise. The Universal/Illumination big hit earned another $18.6M to lift its domestic total to $518.1M. Globally, the picture has crossed the billion-dollar mark and shows no sign of slowing down anytime soon.
Elsewhere, Evil Dead Rise became the highest-grossing film in the Evil Dead franchise. The pic earned $54.1M after three weeks of release. Lionsgate’s Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret made $3.38M (-50%) in its sophomore frame, raising its total to $12.6M.
Box Office Results: Top 10 Domestic
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 (Dec) 4,450 theaters, Fri $48.2M, Sat $38.8M, Sun $27M 3-day $114M/Wk 1
- The Super Mario Bros Movie (Uni/Ill) 3,909 (-295) theaters, Fri $4.2M (-53%), Sat $8.2M Sun $6.1M 3-day $18.6M (-54%), Total $518.1M/Wk 5
- Evil Dead Rise (WB) 3,036 (-381) theaters, Fri $1.68M, Sat $2.5M Sun $1.5M 3-day $5.73M (-53%), Total $54.1M/Wk 3
- Are you in God? It’s Me, Margaret (LG) 3,343 theaters, Fri $866k (-61%), Sat $1.3M, Sun $1.1M 3-day $3.38M (-50%), Total $12.6M/Wk 2
- Love Again (Sony) 2,703 theaters, Fri $955KSat $865Kday $605K Sun 3-day $2.4M/Week 1
- John Wick: Chapter 4 (LG) 1,658 (-823) theaters, Fri $593K (-51%), Sat $1M Sun $736K 3 days $2.35M (-52%), Total $180M/Wk 7
- Dungeons & Dragons (Par) 1,751 (-958) theaters Fri $372K (-64%) Sat $670K Sun$473K 3 days $1.5M (-64%), Total $90.9M/Wk 6
- Air (AMZ) 1,632 (-770) theaters Fri $388k (-62%) Sat $610K Sun $397K 3 days $1.39M (-65%), Total $50.2M/Wk 5
- Guy Ritchie’s The Covenant (MGM) 1,807 (-824) theaters Fri $339K (-65%) Sat $519K Sun $363K 3 days $1.22M (-66%) Total $14.77M/Wk 3
- Sisu (LG) 1,006 theaters, Fri $300K (-78%) Sat $448K Sun $335K 3-day $1.08M (-67%) Total $5.5M/Wk 2