Home Gym Flooring Issues – Addicted 2 Decorating®


I took the last three days to control the construction mess that had been building up for so long. Not only did I have to reorganize so that I could find my things, but I also had to clear the mess so that I had a place to build the vanities and cabinets for the bathroom.

I got most everything cleaned up and organized, but I’m still waiting for some walnut trim I ordered to arrive (which should be here on Thursday), so in the meantime, I’m starting to do some work around the house gym.

The floor in this room is kind of a mess, and I’m not talking about the drywall dust and drywall mud that is all over the floor. Those things can be cleaned up, so I’m not worried about that. I’m talking about the actual floor in this room.

For some reason, there doesn’t seem to be a barrier between the hardwood flooring and the subfloor under this room. In the rest of the house, there is a layer of tar paper between the hardwood floor and the subfloor to act as a vapor/moisture barrier. But for some reason, there is no such barrier in this room.

The walls of this room were originally thick shiplap wood installed vertically.

And I’m pretty sure that’s original to the house because the hardwood floor was installed after the walls. So after removing the thick wood from the walls and replacing it with 1/2-inch drywall, I was left with these pretty wide gaps between the edge of the floor and the new drywall. And you can see that there is nothing under the hardwood floor. No vapor barrier at all. In fact, in the gaps between the subfloor boards (they did use 1″ x 10″ and 1″ x 8″ wood as the subfloor in this house) you can actually see the sunlight in some of the place

The reason you can see sunlight under the house is because there are vents around the crawl space, and there just happens to be a vent there that lets the light in. But that shows you how “leaky” this room is. I’m sure all the gaps are just sucking in our cold air conditioner.

So the first order of business, after cleaning the room, is to use spray foam around the edges. I use Loctite spray foam, which is harder and denser than other brands I’ve used in the past.

I circled the two walls outside the room.

It takes a while for it to fully expand, and then it takes a few hours for it to fully harden.

When it was completely solid, I used my most flexible knife and cut off the excess.

So at least that will prevent our cold air conditioned air from being sucked in from the gaps.

What is interesting is that there is a very noticeable difference. While waiting for the spray foam to fully expand and harden, I left the room for a few hours, closing the home gym door behind me. When I returned to continue working, the room was noticeably colder. I was really amazed at the difference it made.

Another problem area with the floor in this room is this mysterious hardwood floor board. I know I’ve shown you this before, but there was a board that was eaten by something. And what causes this is a complete mystery to me.

I looked back at the original photos I took of this room, and while this board has damage, it doesn’t look like what’s there now. Here’s what it looked like almost nine years ago…

And here’s what it looks like now. I could literally remove this board with my bare hands. No tools required.

I mean, it looks like a complete mess. And while my first thought (years ago) was that it must be termites, I actually never saw a single termite. Not only that, but the only thing affected is a board that is a floor. No one else around it was affected.

I checked the rest of the floor around it, and found two other areas that seemed to be affected, so I thought maybe that’s how it spread.

But no. That’s the board. It’s a really long board, but it’s the same board.

Literally nothing else around it was affected. None of the other floorboards were affected, and the subfloor under this one affected board was in excellent condition. This is the most amazing thing. I have no explanation for this.

Anyway, I’ll keep working here for the next few days and see how much I can do before the walnut tree arrives on Thursday.

I can finish the trim here and get everything sanded, caulked and painted.

And then I still have a door between the home gym and the bathroom that needs to be cut.

So this will be my project for the next few days. Hopefully I can get all the trim done, and then I can start on the bathroom vanities and cabinets. At least now I have more space cleared to build those!



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.