Meghan Markle Wins Another Legal Victory Against British Tabloid


Meghan Markle won another victory against a British tabloid after filing a lawsuit to publish these excerpts from a private letter he wrote to his estranged father.

On Wednesday, May 6, a London High Court judge issued a summary judgment in favor of the Duchess of Sussex on a notorious issue of who owns the copyright to five pages, handwritten letter.

The Mail on Sunday published parts of it in February 2019. The letter was given by Meghan’s father, Thomas Markle. He wrote it in August 2018, two months after he and Prince harry‘s wedding, which he did not attend due to illness. Thomas told a UK tabloid The sun, which is not part of the lawsuit, that the last time he spoke to his daughter was on a phone call after the weddings.

In the fall of 2019, the duchess sued the newspaper publisher, Associated Newspapers Limited, for publishing letter citations, seeking damages for misuse of private information, copyright infringement and violation of the Data Protection Act of 2018. He won most of his lawsuit in February. The High Court judge issued a summary judgment in favor of Meghan in her claim for misuse of private information, said the duchess “had a reasonable expectation that the contents of the Letter would remain private.”

In March, the Supreme Court ordered ANL to pay Meghan 90% of her estimated $ 1.88 million in legal costs. He was given 450,000 pounds ($ 625,000) as an interim payment. In his latest judgment, the judge ordered the publisher to pay the remaining 10% of his estimated legal costs.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *