NYC DOE Kindergarten Application: What You Need to Know
Kindergarten applications for New York City Public Schools are open, and the deadline is fast approaching. If your child was born in 2018 and lives in New York City, they are eligible to attend kindergarten in Fall 2023. Parents must apply by January 20.
Here’s what parents need to know about the application process!
Psst… Check out the Best Winter Reading for Kids of All Ages 2023!
Who Can Apply?
Every five-year-old child living in New York City is guaranteed a spot in a public elementary school.
All parents with children this age are encouraged to apply, whether the student is starting school for the first time or is currently attending pre-k at a DOE public school, pre-k center, early education center , private or charter school or parochial school.
In addition, all kindergarten programs welcome students with disabilities or access needs, students learning English, immigrant families, students in temporary housing and LGBTQ+ or gender non-conforming students.
Exploring Elementary Options
Parents can explore the elementary school at any time on MySchools.nyc. Within the school directory, you can search for schools by your child’s address, district and other interests.
You can apply to up to 12 kindergarten programs with one application.
When looking at kindergarten programs, some factors to consider include: location, admissions priorities and school-specific schedules.
Many schools will offer tours, open houses and information sessions related to admissions. Check the MySchools Events Calendar or specific school websites for more information.
How to apply
The application for public schools in New York City resides in the MySchools.nyc website.
When the application window opens, create a MySchools account following the instructions on the website and add your child to the account. Add up to 12 programs you want to apply to in the “Apply” tab, and be sure to sort the application programs accordingly.
- List programs in order of preferencewith your first choice listed at the top of the application
- Include programs that your child has a high priority to attend. This may include schools in the zone, your child’s current school or program or a school where your child’s sibling attends.
- Apply to multiple programs
- Enter information based on current status and information, such as home address
- Keep the brothers in mind. If your child has a sibling who attends a school that you also want them to attend, list that school on your application and be sure to add the sibling currently attending the school to the application as well. This will ensure that your child gets priority admission
- Double check to ensure your application is submitted
- Admissions are not first come first serve. Just submit your application before the deadline. You can also edit your application at any time after submission and before the deadline
For more information, see the The NYC Department of Education website to apply to kindergarten programs.